In this episode of Talking Under Water, Jeremy Wolfe interviews Duke McCall, partner at Morgan Lewis. The two discuss the U.S. Supreme Court's May 2023 ruling in Sackett v. EPA and its implications. McCall describes the function of the Waters of the United States (WOTUS) in the Clean Water Act, the story behind the Supreme Court decision in Sackett v. EPA, which limited the reach of the definition for WOTUS, and how the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has adjusted its definition of WOTUS after the ruling.
- Supreme Court weakens Clean Water Act’s wetlands protections
- EPA, Army amend WOTUS to align with Supreme Court wetlands decision
- Episode Summary | 0:06
- What is WOTUS, and how does it affect Clean Water Act compliance? | 0:31
- How does the latest Supreme Court decision affect WOTUS? | 3:12
- How did the other justices want to define WOTUS? | 6:09
- How has EPA and the U.S. Army adjusted the definition of WOTUS in response to this? | 7:37
- What is significant about this change? | 10:05
- What sort of effects do you think this will bring for the nation’s water quality and environmental health, generally? | 11:19
- Housekeeping | 12:36
- WaterWorld Digital Editions
- Wastewater Digest Videos
- Stormwater Solutions State of the Industry Survey
About the Podcast
Talking Under Water is the premier podcast for the water industry, including municipal and industrial water and wastewater, residential water treatment, storm water management and erosion control. It is produced in coordination between Water & Wastes Digest (WWD), Water Quality Products (WQP) and Storm Water Solutions (SWS). The podcast covers topics under the One Water movement including the municipal and industrial water and wastewater, point of use, point of entry, residential, storm water and erosion control markets. Talking Under Water highlights news, trends, new technologies, industry discussions and on-site interviews with experts for WWD, WQP and SWS. New episodes of the podcast are released on the third Friday of every month. Logo Images: Anatoly Tiplyashin / Romolo Tavani / stock.adobe.com.
Contact the Talking Under Water podcast editors by emailing [email protected] engaging with them on Twitter @TUWpodcast. Join the conversation by commenting or using the hashtag #talkingunderwaterpod on social media.