In this month’s episode of Talking Under Water, hosts Bob Crossen and Katie Johns give an update on Build America, Buy America as the 1-year anniversary of its implementation hits. They also touch on U.S. EPA’s first-ever Clean Water Act Enforcement for PFAS in stormwater and share an update from the Chesapeake Bay Program’s Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee. Finally, they share interview with Pradeep Nagarajan, integrated water management, technical director for GHD. Johns spoke with Pradeep on all things flood control – trends, new technologies and how the climate is playing into these.
- EPA makes first-ever Clean Water Act enforcement for PFAS in stormwater
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation releases report on slow restoration
- Build America, Buy America and its implementation issues
- What to know about the Build America, Buy America Act today
- Cold open | 0:00
- Episode summary | 1:06
- BABA 1-year anniversary overview | 1:44
- Who ensures BABA compliance? | 4:39
- How are subcomponents calculated in manufactured products? | 5:11
- How should OEMs respond to seeing BABA compliance in bid specs? | 5:39
- Is labor counted in construction or assembly? | 6:20
- Timelines and business impacts on BABA | 7:19
- The first ever CWA PFAS enforcement for stormwater | 8:45
- Chesapeake Bay water quality progess slower than expected | 10:16
- Interview begins
- Trends or solutions for flood mitigation | 13:06
- Challenges in overcoming feasibility of solutions | 14:19
- The impacts of frequency and intensity of storms increasing | 16:45
- GHD’s approach to flood mitigation | 20:43
- One water and regional stormwater strategies | 23:28
- How funding improves adaptability | 25:43
- Digital transformation and artificial intelligence | 27:41
- Importance of collaboration and communication | 29:22
- Final thoughts | 30:51
- Housekeeping | 32:30
Talking Under Water listeners have access to a special discount code to register for this year's StormCon. When registering, use the code ONEWATER10 to receive a 10% discount on your conference registration. Visit bit.ly/stormconreg2023 to register and use the code.
About the Podcast
Talking Under Water is the premier podcast for the water industry, including municipal and industrial water and wastewater, residential water treatment, storm water management and erosion control. It is produced in coordination between Water & Wastes Digest (WWD), Water Quality Products (WQP) and Storm Water Solutions (SWS). The podcast covers topics under the One Water movement including the municipal and industrial water and wastewater, point of use, point of entry, residential, storm water and erosion control markets. Talking Under Water highlights news, trends, new technologies, industry discussions and on-site interviews with experts for WWD, WQP and SWS. New episodes of the podcast are released on the third Friday of every month. Logo Images: Anatoly Tiplyashin / Romolo Tavani / stock.adobe.com.
Contact the Talking Under Water podcast editors by emailing [email protected] or engaging with them on Twitter @TUWpodcast. Join the conversation by commenting or using the hashtag #talkingunderwaterpod on social media.