Mae Stevens’ career began with interest in environmental policy, which was further stoked by her position working for U.S. Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Maryland) where Stevens was instrumental in drafting, positioning, and passing 27 bills on water policy. From that position, she moved to Signal Group to chair the organization’s water practice as an executive vice president.
Stevens explains her career path, how her perspective changed at different points of her career and how she grabbed opportunities to advance her professional life. She also talks about her pet bunnies, reading books and relaxing after busy, high-energy work weeks on Capitol Hill. Finally, she shares her thoughts on how to introduce more young professionals to the water industry.
- Intro: (0:00)
- How Mae got introduced to the water industry: (0:54)
- Working for Sen. Cardin and her role on the Hill: (2:52)
- Lessons and skills learned working for Congressional leaders: (7:00)
- Pet bunnies — Alice, Roosevelt and Bungiman Franklin — reading and Netflix: (10:51)
- Catering to the next generation of water workers: (13:23)
- Watch the last WWD Young Pros video: https://www.wwdmag.com/videos/patrick-mckeown-wwd-young-pros
- Read the 2021 WWD Young Pros article: https://www.wwdmag.com/young-pros/2021-wwd-young-pros-lets-make-water-systems-visible
- 2021 WWD Young Pros Playlist: https://www.facebook.com/watch/239071399449634/925263028250576
Sign up for More Water & Wastes Digest Content
- Subscribe to Water & Wastes Digest: https://sgc.dragonforms.com/WWD_new&PK=SMNN2020
- Renew your WWD subscription: https://sgc.dragonforms.com/WWD_renew&PK=SMRE2020
- Sign up to our newsletter: https://www.wwdmag.com/manage-subscription?source=video2020