The American Public Works Assn. (APWA) announced the 2012 Top Ten Public Works Leaders of the Year. Each Top Ten Public Works Leader is recognized at local, community-oriented events, as well as during the awards ceremony as part of the APWA 2012 International Public Works Congress & Exposition in Anaheim, Calif., August 26 to 29.
“APWA is proud to honor the Top Ten Public Works Leaders from the U.S. and Canada, which are part of APWA’s National Public Works Week celebrations from May 20-26, 2012,” said APWA Executive Director Peter B. King. “These Top Ten Leaders are exceptional public works professionals who have been selected by a committee of peers for their career-long professionalism, expertise, service and personal dedication to improving the quality of life in the communities they serve. This year’s Top Ten list includes an operations director, directors of public works, a state secretary of transportation, an engineering development review manager, vice president and city engineer from municipalities across North America who represent the best of the public works profession. They are all to be highly commended and are extremely worthy of this honor,” King said.
Award recipients include:
- · William D. Brown, P.E. – director of public works, city of Overland Park, Kan.
- · Phil Broyles, P.E. – director of public works, city of Springfield, Mo.
- · Robert R. Gordon, P.E. – director of public works, city of Temple Terrace, Fla.
- · Thomas M. Grisa, P.E. – public works director, city of Brookfield, Wis.
- · Paula Hammond, P.E. – secretary of transportation, WS DOT, Olympia, Wash.
- · Peggy Keppler, P.E. PLS, – engineering development review manager, city of Eugene, Ore.
- · Larry T. Koehle, P.E., MPA, PWLF – vice president, ASI Technologies, Brampton, ON, Canada
- · David Lawry, P.E. – director of village operations, village of Wauconda, Ill.
- · Dan Mikkelson – city engineer, city of Salisbury, N.C.
- · Vitaly B. Troyan, P.E., – director of public works, city of Oakland, Calif.