The gas leak has since been capped by Savannah Fire Rescue
Savannah Industrial & Domestic Water Treatment Facility suffered a chlorine gas leak on Jan. 25, 2018. The spill, which occurred in the morning, has since been properly controlled by Savannah Fire Rescue.
Authorities responded to distress calls by 9:28 a.m. and successfully contained the spill by 1 p.m. the same day. The source of the leak came from a leaky valve on a one-ton cylinder.
The treatment plant was able to continue operation without disruption, and the incident did not pose a threat the the drinking water being treated at the facility, according to authorities.
This incident follows other incidents of gas leaks and explosions throughout the nation.