Association of California Water Agencies' (ACWA) 2003 Legislative Symposium and Day at the Capitol is June 10-11 at the Holiday Inn Capitol Plaza in Sacramento, Calif. Topics will include the state budget, water infrastructure bonds, tax policy and LAFCO empowerment.
On tap to present at the Symposium are assembly members Joe Canciamilla (D-Pittsburg), John Laird (D-Santa Cruz), Doug LaMalfa (R-Richvale), Kevin McCarthy (R-Bakersfield) as well as Senators Dick Ackerman (R-Irvine), Mike Machado (D-Linden), Charles Poochigian (R-Fresno) and Tom Torlakson (D-Antioch). Several other high-profile speakers such as California Department of Finance Director Steve Peace also are scheduled to present during the June 10 panel discussions.
June 10 Panel Discussions
- 8:45 a.m. -- "Fight or Flight? California Employers Respond to Rising Employee Costs"
- 9:45 a.m. -- "An Interim Report by California Commission on Tax Policy in the New Economy"
- 11 a.m. -- "Putting Water Back into the Water Bond: A Conversation with Legislative Leadership"
- Noon -- Luncheon Program "A Report on the Status of the State Budget: The Democratic and Republican Perspectives"
- 1:30 p.m. -- "It Ain't Over Until It's Over: The Continuing Effort to Empower LAFCO"
- 2:30 p.m. -- "A Discourse on How to Educate Your Freshman Legislator"
On Wednesday, June 11, attendees will have the opportunity to make legislative visits, whereby they will be able to brief key legislators and policy and fiscal committee staff on issues of importance to ACWA members.
Source: Association of California Water Agencies