In this episode of Talking Under Water, the hosts share recent industry news, including the announcement of $50 million in grant funding that is available through the Sewer Overflow and Stormwater Reuse Municipal Grant program; a recent study that found that the Colorado River Basin lost more than 40 trillion liters between 2000 and 2021; and an announcement from The Department of the Interior, which is opening three funding opportunities for resilient water supplies, cooperative watershed management and aquatic ecosystem protection. Additionally, the hosts share an interview with Brent Bridges, senior principal for Woodard & Curran. Bridges discusses small systems trends, challenges, how AI and future funding may change the landscape of the industry, and more.
- EPA announces nearly $50M available for sewer overflow, stormwater projects
- Study: Treated wastewater effluent affects invertebrate communities
- Interior makes $195M available for drought, climate resiliency projects
- Study: Colorado River Basin lost 40 trillion liters to climate change
- Cold open | 0:00
- Host introductions and episode summary | 1:02
- News | 2:03
- Interview begins | 7:12
- How small systems trends differ by region | 7:50
- Resource constraints for small systems | 8:33
- Best practices for grease handling in collection systems | 9:56
- Is grease a trending problem? | 11:07
- What is flushable? | 12:13
- Federal funding for water and wastewater small systems | 12:37
- Workforce challenges for small systems | 13:51
- AI for small water and wastewater systems | 15:19
- Real world case studies | 17:06
- How to plan small systems projects | 18:49
- Storm intensity creates many challenges for smaller utilities | 21:02
- Stormwater infrastructure is gravely needed | 22:46
- Stormwater is on equal par to water and wastewater needs | 23:33
- Final interview thoughts | 24:06
- Housekeeping | 25:17
Talking Under Water listeners have access to a special discount code to register for this year's StormCon. When registering, use the code ONEWATER10 to receive a 10% discount on your conference registration. Visit bit.ly/stormconreg2023 to register and use the code.
About the Podcast
Talking Under Water is the premier podcast for the water industry, including municipal and industrial water and wastewater, residential water treatment, storm water management and erosion control. It is produced in coordination between Water & Wastes Digest (WWD), Water Quality Products (WQP) and Storm Water Solutions (SWS). The podcast covers topics under the One Water movement including the municipal and industrial water and wastewater, point of use, point of entry, residential, storm water and erosion control markets. Talking Under Water highlights news, trends, new technologies, industry discussions and on-site interviews with experts for WWD, WQP and SWS. New episodes of the podcast are released on the third Friday of every month. Logo Images: Anatoly Tiplyashin / Romolo Tavani / stock.adobe.com.
Contact the Talking Under Water podcast editors by emailing [email protected] engaging with them on Twitter @TUWpodcast. Join the conversation by commenting or using the hashtag #talkingunderwaterpod on social media.