Wyoming Town Recognized for Wastewater Achievements
New treatment plant, sewage system in Alpine, Wyo., earns PISCES Award
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has awarded the Town of Alpine, Wyo., wastewater utility with the Performance and Innovation in the State Revolving Fund Creating Environmental Success (PISCES) Award for the construction of a new wastewater treatment facility and sewage collection system.
Alpine used a Clean Water State Revolving Fund (CWSRF) loan to replace their wastewater treatment plant with a new, larger facility and sewage collection system. The project also addressed concerns with the inadequate construction and failure of several local septic systems. The new infrastructure is improving the quality of treated water and the protection of local groundwater and surface water resources.
“The Town of Alpine's effort to upgrade its wastewater infrastructure offers a potent example of the type of investments that will help our nation's communities protect local water resources for decades to come," said Carol Rushin, EPA's acting regional administrator in Denver. “The Town has taken clear and proactive steps to improve water quality and protect public health."
EPA's PISCES Awards recognize individual projects that best represent the CWSRF's commitment to innovative and sustainable water quality financing. The nomination criteria consisted of leadership and innovation in Clean Water Act compliance and financial integrity. In addition, each borrower demonstrated a commitment to one of more of the following criteria:
• Better management practices;
• Full-cost pricing;
• Efficient water use;
• Watershed approach;
• Innovation in financing;
• Innovative approach to project implementation; and
• Creative use of partnerships.
More like this
- Wyoming City Investigates Wastewater Allegations
- South Dakota Utilities Honored for Wastewater and Drinking Water Excellence
- A Big Choice for a Small Town
- Ten California Water Systems Face Fines For Failing To Monitor E. Coli In Drinking Water
- Water Environment Federation Announces 2008 WEF Excellence Award Recipients