Water Environment Federation Announces 2008 WEF Excellence Award Recipients
Awards will be presented at WEFTEC.08, Oct. 18 to 22 in Chicago
Each year, the Water Environment Federation (WEF) recognizes excellence and achievement in the water environment profession within the following categories: Individual Service and Contribution, Education, Organization and Association Recognition, Operational and Design Excellence and Published Papers. The awards will be presented during ceremonies at WEFTEC.08, WEF’s 81st annual technical exhibition and conference next month in Chicago, Ill.
2008 WEF Excellence Award Recipients
• Camp Applied Research Medal: Orris E. Albertson;
• Collection Systems Award: George LeRoy Martin;
• Eddy Wastewater Principles and Processes Medal: Craig D. Adams, Glen T. Daigger and Holley Kaempfer Steller;
• Emerson Distinguished Service Medal: Billy G. Turner;
• Engelbrecht International Achievement Award: Daniel A. Nolasco;
• Fair Distinguished Engineering Educator Medal: Dr. James H. Johnson, Jr. and Dr. Daniel H. Zitomer;
• Gascoigne Medal for WWTP Operational Improvement: Thomas Asmus, Michael Gerbitz, Larry Reinke, Kenneth Sedmak and Timothy Stockman;
• Industrial Water Quality Achievement Award: U.S. Dept. of Energy/Honeywell Federal Manufacturing & Technologies;
• Innovative Technology Awards—Four Categories: ADS Environmental Services—ADS Spider (Collection Systems); Accusonic Technologies—Accusonic 7510+ (Instrumentation); AquaAerobic Systems, Inc.—AquaDiamond Filter (Process Equipment); and Penn Valley Pump Company—Double Disc Pump (Solids Handling/Disposal);
• McKee Groundwater Protection, Restoration, Sustainable Use Medal: Johanshir Golchin, Bruce H. Kjartanson, Say Kee Ong, Shane W. Rogers and Greg A. Stenback;
• Member Association Achievement Award: Michigan Water Environment Association and Pacific Northwest Clean Water Association;
• Member Association Safety Award: New England Water Environment Association;
• Outstanding Member Association Award: North Carolina Water Environment Association;
• Outstanding Young Water Environment Professional Award: Charles Bott;
• Public Education Award—Three Categories: Isabel S. Tourkantonis (Individual); Florida Water Environment Association—Public Outreach and Communication Committee (Member Association); and Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County—Clearwater Program (Other);
• Public Officials Award: The Honorable Thomas M. Menino (mayor, City of Boston, Mass.) and Terrence J. O’Brien (president, Board of Commissioners, Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago);
• Rudolfs Industrial Waste Management Medal: Jennifer L. Dauphinais, Ines D. Henriques, Richard T. Kelly II and Nancy G. Love; and
• WEF Graduate Studies Scholarship: Jason J. Flowers, P.E.
As the largest water quality event in North America and largest annual water quality exhibition in the world, WEFTEC.08 is expected to host more than 18,000 of the world’s leading water quality experts and 1,000 companies featuring the latest in water quality technology. WEFTEC.08 will be held at McCormick Place in Chicago from Oct. 18 to 22, 2008.