Partnership Offers Companies Landfill-Free Verification
Companies must prove less than 1% of process waste goes to landfill for disposal
NSF Sustainability, a division of the global public health organization NSF Intl., has partnered with Sustainable Waste Solutions to provide companies with effective waste management solutions without utilizing landfills for their waste disposal. By providing landfill-free verification, NSF Intl. and Sustainable Waste Solutions will assess companies to document that all wastes generated are reused, recycled or processed as waste to energy.
Sustainable Waste Solutions provides a range of reuse, recycling and waste services. Industries serviced include food manufacturing, pharmaceutical, high tech, automotive, defense, packaging and more.
NSF Intl.’s independent landfill-free verification enables companies to demonstrate that less than 1% of their process waste goes to landfill for disposal and that they have documented waste management procedures and trainings in place.
Qualifying for NSF landfill-free verification also requires:
- • Retaining documentation and tracking all waste streams;
- • Maintaining containers to manage waste;
- • Establishing a program for electronic waste management;
- • Employee and contracting training; and
- • Audits of the facility to ensure these procedures are in place.
Every day, more than 80,000 tons of waste are diverted from landfill disposal by Energy from Waste facilities. The renewable energy produced by these facilities is enough to power over 2.5 million homes.
“Having provided landfill-free services to our customers for a number of years, partnering with NSF is a natural progression for us. Our customers will have easy access to third-party verification of their landfill-free claims” said Randy Hendricks, CEO of Sustainable Waste Solutions. “We look forward to working with NSF as we make more businesses landfill-free.”
More like this
- Newsweek Ranks U.S. Companies Based on Environmental Performance
- Charlotte Pipe’s RePVC and ReUze Receive NSF Certification
- NSF Intl. Certifies First Product to Flushable Products Certification Program
- NSF Intl. Promotes Three Experts to Global Positions
- NSF Intl., Trucost Form Global Strategic Partnership