The annual Awards for Excellence and President’s Awards were announced at the 37th Annual WateReuse Symposium.
The WateReuse Association (WateReuse) Awards for Excellence recognize the people, projects, and partnerships that demonstrate exceptional leadership toward building more resilient communities through water reuse. Award recipients use water recycling in novel ways to solve water management challenges, advance policies that facilitate greater adoption of water recycling, and inspire others through their innovation and leadership.
To read more information, view videos about the award winners, and view the full awards program, visit this page.
The award winners are:
- James Herberg, General Manager, Orange County Sanitation District, CA
- Louis C. Herrin, III, P.E., Senior Engineer, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, Water Quality Division, TX
- The National Blue Ribbon Commission for Onsite Non-potable Water Systems
The Advocacy Achievement award recognizes individuals and organizations for significant achievements in advancing policy, legislation, or regulations that facilitate greater adoption, implementation, or acceptance of recycled water.
Community Water Champion
- City of Lakeland Se7en Wetlands, FL
- North Texas Municipal Water District, TX
The Community Water Champion award recognizes the accomplishments of utilities and local government entities that ensure a safe, reliable, locally controlled water supply through the development of water recycling treatment facilities, infrastructure and/or other water reuse projects.
Excellence in Action
- Irvine Ranch Water District and the University of California, Irvine, CA
- Scottsdale Water’s Reclaimed Water Distribution System, AZ
The Excellence in Action award recognizes community leaders that demonstrate a commitment to water resiliency through the innovative use of recycled water for commercial operations, watershed restoration projects, irrigation, or other projects.
Outreach and Education
- Colorado Springs Utilities, Colorado School of Mines, and Carollo Engineers, CO
- Syphon Reservoir Improvement Project Public Outreach Campaign, CA
The Outreach and Education award recognizes significant success in advancing public acceptance of recycled water, including short-term campaigns, educational programs, and events.
- Eastern Municipal Water District, CA
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection, NY
- Yokogawa Electric Corporation, Las Virgenes Municipal Water District, Carollo Engineers, the National Water Research Institute, Metropolitan Water District, Bureau of Reclamation, and IOSight, CA
The Transformational Innovation award recognizes technological advances, research breakthroughs, and innovative practices that advance the adoption, implementation, or public acceptance of recycled water.
Up and Comer
- Shea Dunifon, Pinellas County Utilities, FL
The Up and Comer award recognizes a professional with less than 10 years experience in the recycled water industry for leadership in the industry and commitment to pursuing water recycling as a career path.
- Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
- Senator Alex Padilla (D-CA)
- Senator Chris Van Hollen (D-MD)
- Senator Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV)
- David Ross, Former Assistant Administrator for Water, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
The President’s Awards recognize individuals who have significantly contributed to the advancement of water reuse through exceptional service and leadership. This award is given at the discretion of the WateReuse Association President.
- Brian Biesemeyer, Scottsdale Water, AZ
- Paul Cook, Irvine Ranch Water District, CA
- Paul Jones, Eastern Municipal Water District, CA
- Gilbert Trejo, El Paso Water, TX
The WateReuse Association recognized these individuals for their service on our Board of Directors. Their leadership and vision have helped drive the national adoption of water reuse policies and programs.