Over 600 professionals are urging Congress to stop water fluoridation until Congressional hearings are conducted. New scientific evidence has shown that fluoridation, long promoted to fight tooth decay, is ineffective and has serious health risks.
Signers include a Nobel Prize winner, three members of the prestigious 2006 National Research Council (NRC) panel that reported on fluoride's toxicology, two officers in the Union representing professionals at EPA headquarters, the President of the International Society of Doctors for the Environment, and hundreds of medical, dental, academic, scientific and environmental professionals, worldwide.
Signer Dr. Arvid Carlsson, winner of the 2000 Nobel Prize for Medicine, says, "Fluoridation is against all principles of modern pharmacology. It's really obsolete."
Paul Connett, PhD, Executive Director of the Fluoride Action Network (FAN), announced that an Online Action Petition to Congress in support of the Professionals' Statement will soon be available at FAN's web site, http://www.fluorideaction.org.
"The NRC report dramatically changed scientific understanding of fluoride's health risks," says Connett. "Government officials who continue to promote fluoridation must testify under oath as to why they are ignoring the powerful evidence of harm in the NRC report," he added.
An Assistant NY State Attorney General calls the report "the most up-to- date expert authority on the health effects of fluoride exposure."
The Professionals' Statement also references:
- The new American Dental Association policy recommending infant formula not be prepared with fluoridated water.
- The CDC's concession that the predominant benefit of fluoride is topical not systemic.
- CDC data showing that dental fluorosis, caused by fluoride over-exposure, now impacts one third of American children.
- Major research indicating little difference in decay rates between fluoridated and non-fluoridated communities.
- A Harvard study indicating a possible link between fluoridation and bone cancer.
- The silicofluoride chemicals used for fluoridation are contaminated industrial waste and have never been FDA-approved for human ingestion.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG), a DC watchdog, revealed that a Harvard professor concealed the fluoridation/bone cancer connection for three years. EWG President Ken Cook states, "It is time for the US to recognize that fluoridation has serious risks that far outweigh any minor benefits, and unlike many other environmental issues, it's as easy to end as turning off a valve at the water plant."