Richard P. Whalen, P.E., has more than 25 years of experience
Richard P. Whalen, PE, has been named Orlando office manager at MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc. (MEC). J. Allen Kibler, Jr., president of MEC, made the announcement.
Whalen brings to MACTEC more than 25 years experience in water, wastewater, reclaimed water and utilities engineering, including business development, master planning, permitting, project management, budgeting and strategic planning.
“Rick has a proven track record of managing large capital projects for engineering consulting firms, water utilities, municipalities and governmental utility authorities,” Kibler said. “He’ll play a pivotal role as we continue to expand the scope and breadth of our services to public and private sector clients in central Florida.”
Key Florida projects he supervised included:
• Hillsborough County fire flow deficiency program—encompassed 500-plus new fire hydrants and water line extensions;
• Pinellas County reclaimed water system—more than 44,000 linear feet residential reclaimed water distribution mains;
• Lee County storm water master plan;
• Orange County Utilities—$50 million wastewater infiltration/inflow study and corrective action program; and
• Orange County Eastern Service Area Wetlands Experimental Water Reclamation Project.
Whalen was also selected as a project manager for the New Orleans-Baton Rouge Wastewater Authority’s $100 million sewer system evaluation survey and corrective action program.
In the public sector, Whalen spent four years as water engineering manager for Lakeland Electric & Water Utilities, which serves more than 200,000 customers. He supervised the water engineering division and was responsible for preparing and administering a $21 million budget and $30 million capital improvement plan. During his tenure, the division completed more than 70 Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and Polk County utility relocation projects and coordinated 25 different computer hydraulic modeling software packages to help with water master plan updates.
Whalen is a registered professional engineer in Florida and a Florida Class C certified drinking water plant and wastewater plant operator. Whalen is a member of the American Water Works Association and the National Society of Professional Engineers.