WEF and IWA Announce World Water Monitoring Day Award Winners
Groups and individuals recognized for participating in 2010 monitoring period
In celebration of World Water Day 2011, the Water Environment Federation (WEF) and the International Water Assn. (IWA) yesterday announced the winners of the second annual World Water Monitoring Day (WWMD) Awards. Yesterday also marked the start of the program’s 2011 monitoring period, which will run through Dec. 31.
Initiated last year, the WWMD Awards Program recognizes program participants for outstanding achievement in boosting awareness of water quality issues. The program features two types of awards, Water Champion: Making a Difference and WWMD Superlatives. The winners of the first type were chosen by a subcommittee of the WWMD regional panel of judges, which is composed of water industry professionals from around the world.
Water Champion awards recognize superior levels of relevance, educational effort, support and innovation in the promotion of water quality through the WWMD program.
The 2010 winners include:
• Africa: Zimbabwe National Water Authority (Group, Zimbabwe) and Neakoh Mengyi (Individual, Cameroon);
• Asia: SMK TELOI KANAN Nature Club (Group, Malaysia) and National Environmental Education and Research Foundation (Group Runner-up, India);
• Australia/Oceania: Seqwater/SEQ Water Grid (Group, Australia);
• Europe: Escola Secundária de Vilela (Group, Portugal) and Igor Prokofyev (Individual, Russia);
• North America: Cedarbrook Middle School (Group, United States) and Kathy Reynolds (Individual, United States); and
• South America: GTZ/PROAPAC (Group, Bolivia) and ENO Brazil (Group Runner-up, Brazil).
Award recipients will receive a commemorative plaque and WWMD materials of their choosing up to a value of $1,000 for groups and $750 for individuals and group runners-up. Items selected may include any combination of water monitoring equipment, relevant resources or promotional materials. Winners of the WWMD Superlatives may be viewed on the program’s website.
More like this
- WEF, IWA Celebrate World Water Day by Announcing Award Winners
- World Water Monitoring Challenge Winners Announced
- Water Environment Federation Announces 2008 WEF Excellence Award Recipients
- Participation in World Water Monitoring Day Increases 60% in 2008
- World Water Monitoring Day Participation Increases 73% in 2010