Water Unsafe for 300 Million Chinese
The drinking water for 300 million Chinese is not safe to drink and cleaning it up is a top priority, Chinese government officials recently said.
Water Resources Minister Wang Schucheng said clean drinking water for all of China is the government's top priority. He said China plans to have safe drinking water for all residents by 2020, the Xinhua News Agency reported.
"Currently, 300 million Chinese people are drinking unsafe water, among which 190 million are drinking water with harmful substances above set standards," Wang said Wednesday during a water resource conference.
About 70% of China's lakes and rivers are polluted, the government said.
More like this
- China Faces Water Shortage of 40 Billion Cubic Meters Every Year
- Officials Confirm China to Invest US $157B in Environment Over Next Five Years
- Survey Shows Strong Interest in Water Reuse by People of China
- China Pledges Clean Drinking Water for All Rural Residents by 2020
- China Launches Effort to Provide Safe Drinking Water to Rural Communities