The American Water Works Assn. (AWWA) announced the launch of its new ...
Feb. 6 webcast will focus on federal security initiatives for the water sector
Issues surrounding chemical security and water treatment will be examined during a Feb. 6 webcast on federal security initiatives for the water sector, hosted by the American Water Works Association (AWWA). The webcast, “Implementing the Water Sector Specific Plan (SSP),” will provide an overview of the National Infrastructure Protection Plan (NIPP), Sector Specific Plans and the Water SSP in particular. The Water SSP includes a model contamination warning system, the Water Security Initiative, and a series of response networks for emergencies, known as the Water and Wastewater Agency Response Networks (WARNs).
Participants also will learn about developments related to chlorine gas use, transportation and storage. Moderator Alan Roberson, AWWA’s director of regulatory affairs and security, will be joined by members of the partnership that developed the Water SSP, including:
• Robert Stephan, Assistant Secretary of Infrastructure, Department of Homeland Security
• Billy Turner, chair of the Water Sector Coordinating Council and President of Columbus (GA) Water Works
• Dan Schmelling, Water Security Initiative Project Coordinator, Water Security Division, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
• David Travers, Water Security Initiative Program Manager, Water Security Division, EPA
• Bill Komianos, Director of Operational Risk Management, American Water, and member of the Water Sector Coordinating Council
• Kevin Morley, Regulatory Affairs and Security Analyst, AWWA Government Affairs
For more information on the webcast and registration details visit: www.awwa.org/ education/webcasts.