Pure Flo Water Earns National Environmental Sustainability Award
Company recognized for its sustainable practices & conservation measures
The International Bottled Water Assn. (IBWA) announced Pure Flo Water Co., located in Santee, Calif., as winner of its Environmental Sustainability Award. The announcement was made at the 2012 IBWA Annual Business Conference in New Orleans held Nov. 12 to 16.
“Pure Flo Water Co. is impressive because it has not only taken action—it has also set up a process for continuous improvement. That sets them apart,” said IBWA Convention Co-Chair Dan Kelly.
Pure Flo is committed to processing, bottling and distributing water in a safe, effective and responsible manner. A few ways they fulfill that commitment include the following:
- • Implementing an alternative workweek schedule for select groups within the operations department, which provides a 20% reduction in energy use
- • Reducing groundwater extraction through improved water processing and the bottling process
- • Redesigning its landscaping and improving the company’s grounds maintenance to reduce run off as part of its Storm Water Pollution Prevention Program
- • Using local vendors to minimize carbon emissions associated with the trucking of goods
- • Implementing “zero waste” practices to support a reduce, reuse and recycle philosophy
- • Establishing a relationship with an independently owned recycling company who provides bins and pick up services for polycarbonate and other plastics, cardboard and paper, electronics and wood
- • Implementing operational changes such as reorganizing routes, switching to a three-week delivery cycle and developing an 8-year vehicle replacement matrix that will significantly reduce emissions from its fleet.
Environmental stewardship has long been a focus of the bottled water industry. This award recognizes member companies who have excelled in creating and implementing sustainable environmental projects and conservation measures.