Haestad Methods released WaterObjects, a full-featured programmer's toolkit for the civil engineering community.
Originally used by Haestad Methods' research and development team to create WaterCAD V6 and WaterGEMS V1, WaterObjects is an object-oriented application Software Development Kit (SDK). WaterObjects provides programmatic access to the features of the modeling software, enabling end-users and third-party developers to build, access and modify model databases to suit application-specific needs.
WaterCAD and WaterGEMS were also built upon Haestad's non-proprietary, fully open GEMS database. The GEMS database can be directly accessed and manipulated using standard database querying software such as Access and Excel.
Who Uses WaterObjects?
WaterObjects is already being exploited in the development of enterprise solutions. Bristol Babcock, Inc. is working closely with Haestad Methods to develop an extensible solution linking its SCADA platforms with WaterCAD/WaterGEMS.
Consultants and utilities routinely adapt the input and output from models to meet their specific project needs, to enhance their automation, and to set their capabilities apart from others in the industry. According to Scott Cattran, GIS Project Manager for Woolpert LLP, "What is truly useful and unique about WaterObjects is that Haestad Methods is providing a set of programmable objects and Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that is focused around the specific needs of the water utility. Having access to this tailored functionality right out of the box will greatly streamline delivery of my company's GIS enterprise integration services."
Developers can use WaterObjects' technology to
* Build reusable, automated processes for creating models from enterprise database systems, GIS systems, and existing computer models
* Automate workflow to estimate load and demand allocations from meter and billing records, build SCADA system connections, and assign elevation and other attributes to hydraulic elements
* Extend and customize tools for model skeletonization, calibration and validation, operational reporting, and QA/QC
* Accomplish Internet and mobile-device data collection and dissemination
* Develop other custom software extensions that tailor WaterCAD and WaterGEMS programs to perform tasks specific to the water utility.
Visit www.haestad.com/waterobjects  for more information.