The Rocky Mountain Water Environment Association’s Commode Commandos captured the first-place trophy during the Operations Challenge competition at WEFTEC.07 in San Diego, Calif. Coached by Leonard Robb, the team (Captain Stacey Walker, Chong Woo, Brian Pritekel and Caleb Vannice) defeated reigning champions the WEA of Texas’ Trinity River Authority (TRA) CReWSers and 38 other teams from the U.S. and Canada to take top honors during the fast-paced, full-day event. Full competition results include:
• First Place: Commode Commandos – Rocky Mountain Water Environment Association
• Second Place: Hampton Roads Sanitation Districts Team HRSD - Virginia Water Environment Association
• Third Place: Trinity River Authority CReWSers - Water Environment Association of Texas
• First Place: Force Maine – New England Water Environment Association
• Second Place: Brown Tide – New York Water Environment Association
• Third Place: Ft. Worth Regulators - Water Environment Association of Texas
Celebrating its 20th year, Operations Challenge has grown from an original 22-team event to its current 40-team, two division format. Each four-member team is judged on the combination of precision, speed and safety. Winners are determined by a weighted point system for five events, including collection systems, laboratory, process control, maintenance and safety. The events are designed to test the diverse skills required for the operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment facilities, their collection systems and laboratories—all vital to the protection of public health and the environment.
Operations Challenge is presented in conjunction with WEFTEC.07, the Water Environment Federation’s 80th annual technical exhibition and conference.