AMTA Announces New Executive Director
Dr. Harold G. Fravel will bring more than 25 years experience to the leadership position
The American Membrane Technology Assn. (AMTA) board of directors announced the appointment of Dr. Harold G. Fravel as the new executive director of the association.
Having recently retired from The Dow Chemical Co., Dow Water and Process Solutions business, Dr. Fravel comes to the position with more than 25 years of experience with membrane and desalination processes. He also brings experience working with non-profit organizations, as a past president of the Southeast Desalination Assn. (SEDA) and as SEDA’s Liaison to the AMTA Board.
A search committee of six AMTA board members from various membership divisions conducted an extensive search for the appropriate candidate. Selection criteria included:
- technical experience with membrane industry
- experience working with or leading non-profit associations
- ability to foster relationships with the membership, industry associations, government and industry leaders
- ability to communicate effectively as the primary spokesperson for the organization
- ability to manage volunteer committees as well as the Assn.’s administrative staff
Fifteen applications were received, which the committee ranked based on 10 distinct criteria. The top three candidates were then interviewed and a final recommendation was presented to the full AMTA Board at their most recent meeting on Oct. 25 in Key Largo, Fla.
Dr. Fravel told the board, “AMTA is on the brink of a step change in its presence in the water industry and needs strong dedicated leadership. Coordination with other associations is imperative to AMTA’s strength and working closely with the AMTA affiliates is necessary. Retaining the current membership is imperative, but reaching out to other membrane industry users and suppliers will broaden AMTA’s scope.”