China Joins Global Water Movement
The Chinese government has entered into a collaboration with the World Water Council
With a growing water shortage and piloting new solutions to water stress, China is at the forefront of the world water quest. Home to 21% of the global population, China has just 7% of its fresh water. The water is also situated highly unevenly: some 80% of the resource is found in the South of China where 55% of the population lives, leaving the other 45% of the population in the North often short of this vital resource. To connect to the global water community and enlarge its capacity to deal with the water challenge, the Chinese government has entered into a collaboration with the World Water Council.
During an official visit to China, a delegation from the World Water Council met with representatives from the Chinese government. “China is ready to increase cooperation with the World Water Council to jointly cope with water resource challenges,” said Chinese Vice Premier Hui Liangyu. “This agreement unfolds a new chapter of co-operation between the Ministry of Water Resources and the World Water Council,” added Minister of Water Resources Chen Lei.
With the aim of promoting sustainable water management and improving access to water and sanitation, the agreement comes at a time at which China is more visible at the international level, as demonstrated by its strong participation during the 5th World Water Forum in March 2009. “China is increasingly present in solving global water issues. It is the right moment to establish a more permanent presence of Chinese water expertise and know-how at the international level,” said Loïc Fauchon, president of the World Water Council.
The cooperation will focus on raising awareness on water issues within China and abroad. To this extent, the World Water Council also met the vice mayor of Shanghai to define how wise water use can be promoted during the upcoming Shanghai World Expo 2010, in strong collaboration with the Chinese Ministry of Water Resources. China expressed its interest in involvement in the next World Water Forum, to be held in Marseilles, France, in March 2012.
More like this
- World Energy Council’s China Intl. Summit Opens
- China's Water Supply and Treatment to Become a Possible International Concern
- U.S. EPA, SEPA and Asian Development Bank Collaborate on Environmental Protection
- Enviro Voraxial Signs Marketing Agreement to Distribute Water Treatment System in China
- Survey Shows Strong Interest in Water Reuse by People of China