Black & Veatch Begins Water Treatment Project in Vietnam
City’s 400,000 residents to benefit from major water drainage improvements
Black & Veatch recently kicked off a major surface water drainage and wastewater treatment project in Hue City, Vietnam, to help protect the water resources of the country from the threat of contamination and mitigate damage caused by flooding. The commencement ceremony was attended by local government officials and representatives from the U.S. embassy.
This project, which is funded by the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA), has an implementation period of eight years, with the following criteria:
• Strengthening of drainage capacity, mitigation of natural disasters caused by flooding in Hue City and collection and treatment of wastewater;
• Enhancement of water quality of the Huong River and other rivers in Hue City;
• Construction of the Works using high quality materials and processes;
• Improvement of living conditions and environmental sanitation;
• Creation of favorable conditions to promote economic development in Hue City; and
• Preservation of historical monuments to help ensure the city’s World Heritage Centre status.
Hue City is the ancient capital of Vietnam. The city is a cultural and tourism center with many historical monuments and is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Centre (the Complex of Hue Monuments). Hue City and Vietnam in general are continuing to experience rapid economic growth and urbanization.
Black & Veatch will lead a consortium of partners, including Nihon Suiko Sekkei (NSS) and Vietnam Water Sanitation and Environment JSC (VIWASE), to implement the consulting services for Phase 1 and the study and design for Phase 2, which will be completed by 2020. Upon completion of Phase 1, a wastewater treatment plant with a capacity of 20,000 cubic meters per day, flood control facilities and drainage systems will service residents and businesses. In addition, Black & Veatch and the project partners will work with the Project Management Unit and other public bodies to ensure the development and delivery of an HIV/AIDS prevention program with workers on site.
More like this
- Black & Veatch Wins Community Environmental Project in Vietnam
- Black & Veatch Assists with Project to Improve Infrastructure and Help Reduce Flooding in Vietnam
- Black & Veatch Providing Engineering & Management for Phase II of Toledo Initiative
- Black & Veatch Develops Vital Infrastructure to Improve Water Supply in Southern Vietnam
- Black & Veatch Works with Missouri Municipality to Meet Increasing Wastewater Treatment Needs