American Water Announces Recipients of James LaFrankie Scholarship Awards
American Water board of directors honors nine students nationwide for scholastic achievement
American Water Works Co. Inc. announced recipients of the 22nd annual James V. LaFrankie Scholarship Awards. The awards were distributed nationwide to nine college-bound children of full-time American Water employees, who demonstrate an interest in water-related industry occupational fields.
Out of 63 applicants, American Water selected nine high school seniors based on their outstanding high school records, academic honors, participation in extracurricular activities and teacher recommendations. The scholarships are awarded for a term of one year in individual awards of $1,000. Scholarship renewal is contingent upon the student's academic progress and may be renewed up to three years.
The scholarship award recipients are as follows:
- • Alycia Barron of Pekin, Ill, daughter of Dennis Barron, operations supervisor in Pekin, Ill.;
- • Robert Evans of Nazareth, Pa., son of Robert Evans, water plant operator in Nazareth District, Pa.;
- • Laura Galliher of Duncannon, Pa., daughter of James Galliher, storage administrator in Hershey, Pa.;
- • Kelsey Hamel of Saint Peters, Mo., daughter of Eric Hamel, field operations supervisor in St. Louis;
- • Michaela Hillen of Plainfield, Ill., daughter of Kevin Hillen, operations superintendent in Woodridge, Ill.;
- • Erin Johns of Gibbsboro, N.J., daughter of Diane Johns, internal communications manager in Voorhees, N.J.;
- • Joanna Kostin of Branchburg, N.J., daughter of Oleg Kostin, production manager in Bridgewater, N.J..;
- • Tanner Murt of Fayette City, Pa., son of William Murt, senior specialist in Elrama, Pa.; and
- • Tyler Suits of Rantoul, Ill., son of Barry Suits, vice president of operations in Belleville, Ill.
“American Water congratulates these students for their academic excellence and overall achievement,” said Suzann Boylan, vice president of Human Resources. “The students selected for this award each have an interest in water-related industry occupational fields, and American Water is proud to help them advance their education by supporting their academic and future career endeavors.”
The American Water Board of Directors established the scholarship program in 1991 in honor of former American Water president, James LaFrankie. LaFrankie demonstrated the value he placed on college education by earning a degree at Georgetown University night school while working days at the Alexandria Virginia Water Company, now known as Virginia American Water. After that, LaFrankie excelled, climbing the ladder to increasingly responsible positions over his 44-year career with American Water, retiring as the company’s president in 1991.
More like this
- American Water Announces Recipients of James LaFrankie Scholarship Awards
- American Water Announces James LaFrankie Scholarship Recipients
- Goulds Pumps Provides Scholarships to 14 Students
- MWH Soft Establishes Endowed Scholarship at Lebanese American University
- Brown & Caldwell Awards Scholarships to Environmental Science, Engineering Students